Thursday, September 20, 2012

Nikon J1 – A quick shot of Jupiter …

When I say quick, I mean that I was outside for less than 5 minutes. Four of which were required to figure out that I had the lens focused to closest focus, which is why Jupiter was stubbornly refusing to show itself on the LCD.

Back up for a moment … I decided to shoot Jupiter today because it is a gorgeous night (clarity is astounding) and because I have been wanting to try the mirror lens on the mirrorless body for some time … there is a hint of irony in that statement.

This is what that looks like …


nikon d7000 + Sigma 105 2.8  800 iso  f/2.8  1/5

And this is how Jupiter came out on my first shot!


nikon j1 + tamron 500mm Mirror on ft1  3200 iso  f/8  1/25

I had checked my other Jupiter images on my Night Skies gallery in order to determine the exposure, so it took me ten seconds to set the J1 for this shot. I did not even use a self timer release on this image … I am that lazy :-)

So, from bottom left to top right, the moons are Calisto, Europa, Io, Ganymede … confirmed by the juplet …

image

Obviously, I could take great care and get a better image … but I just wanted to see what it looked like with 1350mm of effective focal length. Cool …