Thursday, October 20, 2011

Rogers Cable Download Speeds quickly heading into the Toilet – *FIXED!*

Update: My speeds have sort of fixed themselves. This is, I just finished deploying a new Apple Airport Extreme and suddenly I am seeing speeds that are, if not exactly what I am supposed to be getting, certainly close enough that I will probably have to accept them.

So it looks like I was bitten by yet another overheated and worn out router. The boxes these things come in should have a 2 year expiry date to have any “truth in advertising” credibility …

Another update … several weeks down the road: This morning I happened to be up early for a conference call so I checked the speed and got very nice performance, especially when considering that my client is on wireless and I have yet to reboot this new router … what a great purchase.

39gbps_speedtest

------------- original article --------------

Since I was moved up to the Ultimate Internet package, which sports a magnificent 50Mbps download speed and 2Mbps upload speed (magnificent for cable where uploads are concerned, other technologies are much better), I have noted a precipitous fall in my download speeds. Uploads have been decent, but downloads continue to get worse and worse …

36 hours ago I got the worst speed test that I’ve seen in a year or more …

1288_speedtest

Then, a few moments ago, I got a speed test as slow as I have seen in half a decade …

466_speedtest

This to a server that is a 15 minute drive away …

Something really smells in the Rogers network. I cannot imagine staying on this service if it does not get better. Bell Fiber to the home is listed as 25Mbps down and 7Mbps up, which for me is a much better balance. If only Rogers could come somewhere into the vicinity of their alleged speeds …

Update: It turns out that this has been reported by a few people all over Ontario. While there are many unsatisfied customers with both Bell and Rogers (we pay the highest fees in the world and have some of the poorest service, especially when compared with Europe), in fact this specific phenomenon is the one that makes the least sense. By upgrading one’s service, one sends one’s performance into a downward spiral and Rogers will apparently *never* admit that it is their fault.

Read all about it here: http://www.moneyville.ca/article/1073972--roseman-what-s-up-with-rogers-high-speed-internet

Update 2: Banner day today. I achieved a breath-taking 40% of the speed for which I pay.

Bottom line … as the update at the top shows, I now know that a lot of my recent issues are down to a bad router. Shame on you Linksys … the 400N had so much promise.