Sunday, February 6, 2011

Is the HST a Rip-off?

It’s not often that you get the HST thrown in your face … but today I have decided to upgrade from Quicken Cash Manager 2009 to Quicken Turbotax Suite 2011, which provides the latest Quicken Home and Business plus Quicken Turbotax at a savings of about 70 bucks for them both. And since I need them both, I actually consider this a decent deal … YMMV of course.

But when I went to actually complete the purchase online, the default was set to Alberta, which makes sense as it is first in the alphabet. However, Alberta is one of the last holdouts to retain the separated GST and PST. And why does this matter? Because the HST charges this extra tax on every-fucking-thing I buy.

Not that I am bitter …

This is what I saw when I clicked through to the cart:

image

And then I switched to Ontario:

image

Now … that’s not a lot of money … 9 extra dollars … but it’s on a small sale of a hundred and ten bucks! Imagine had I purchased a service that was worth something … like lawyer’s fees at 350 an hour … they come under HST now too!

While I am at it … let’s see who pays what …

Alberta

115.49

Northwest Territories

115.49

Nunavut

115.49

Yukon

115.49

Saskatchewan

120.99

British Columbia

123.19

Manitoba

123.19

New Brunswick

124.29

Newfoundland and Labrador

124.29

Ontario

124.29

Quebec

125.31

Nova Scotia

126.49

Prince Edward Island

127.04

Aaaahhhhh … salvation. We’re only tied for fourth highest taxes in the country. Well  that’s much better then :-)

No comments: