Saturday, September 5, 2009

F70EXR -- plinking about the yard and garden

I discovered something annoying today ... if you shoot in 10mp, on P mode, and DR400, you will get 400iso for every image, no matter how bright the light. *Every* one of the following images is shot at that ISO. I think they look ok, but I am not happy that it used the software DR protection instead of the way cool hardware technology, which works at 100ISO.

I caught this cute buttercup against a background of weeds, but macro mode at 270mm created a nice, soft background. This is a very useful tool for attractive flower shots when you don't have a proper lens around ...


There is a thistle plant (tall weed) nearby that looked good against the white fence as background ...


I next turned and faced the other way, sun at my back, and caught the richness of a neighbor's tree. My lens appears to have really decent edge to edge sharpness ...


And another ...


At my feet were these dead daisies ... thought I'd capture them against the other plants and my shadow ...


Walking across the back yard toward the pool equipment, I maintained the sun at my back, which gave me some lovely colors against which to capture the vine that has attacked my house.



Turning around and looking up, I see the eaves on the second floor ... the zoom on this cam allows for some nice framing ...


And later, I saw a question about 12800 ISO (ridiculous on a cam of this size) on the Fuji Talk Forum, so I shot this image in a moderately lit room (my bedroom.)


Not great, but the text is perfectly readable, so if you were trying to get license plates at a party and all you brought was this cam, it might work.

No comments: