Saturday, September 5, 2009

F70EXR -- Low to High ISO Ladders

I've been thinking that the F70EXR seems to be surprisingly low in noise. It seems to create relatively smooth looking results. right up to 3200ISO. The latter takes quite the hit on detail, of course, but still looks ok for web sized images.

Anyway, there's nothing quite like the ISO ladder to show you the degradation as ISO changes. The key, of course, is to change only that variable. Keep everything else the same. Of course, you will need to compensate for raising ISO by shortening shutter speeds in order to keep exposures identical.

I shot the ladder twice ... once at 5mp and again at 10mp. I used manual mode, since I needed long shutter speeds and the auto modes will not drop below 1/4s. Sheesh ...

Anyway, without further delay ...

The 10mp ladder goes from 100 to 1600 ISO ...


The 5mp ladder goes from 100 to 3200 ISO ...


What I see here is that the 10mp images are decent at 100 through 400 ISO, but chroma noise really ramps up at 800 ISO. The 5mp images hold on right through to 3200 ISO.

I still don't see much of a reason to shoot 10mp ... YMMV of course.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Kim,
you mentioned you processed the pictures in ACR5. Do you mean Adobe Camera Raw version 5?
I understood the F70 is not producing raw output?

Can you explain what you did?
Thanks a lot! Peter

Kim Letkeman said...

Peter, yes, I use ACR to initially process every image I shoot, whether RAW or jpeg. That way, my workflow never changes. ACR / photoshop has a preference setting that prefers ACR for jpegs as well.

Unknown said...

thank you for explaining!
Currently I still use PSE7 but I will upgrade to CS4 soon.
Having read your F70 reviews I was now convinced that this seems to be my camera! I was really in love with my F30 for years, but it was stolen this summer. Hope that the F70 is *the* successor :-)