Wednesday, June 24, 2009

iPhone OS3 -- Dead Battery Syndrome, Again

In my last iPhone post, I described the death and resurrection of my iPhone. It had developed what I now call Dead Battery Syndrome (DBS), where it drains itself very quickly. Hours.

The fix, of course, was to use the iTunes restore function, which worked perfectly that time.

This time, I upgraded to OS3, which I thought might give me some fun new tricks for my phone (it really didn't.) But what it really gave me was a return of DBS. And this time it was really stubborn (think anti-biotic resistance.)

I noticed this the next morning when my phone was as dead as a doornail. I charged it up and within 3 hours it was half down again. *sigh* ... where have I seen this before?

Of course, I knew the fix and immediately plugged it into iTunes and ran the restore. Didn't work. Oh oh ....

Well, there is a second option there to install as a new phone, i.e. toss all your old settings away ... maybe not such a bad thing when switching to a new OS. I know from experience how difficult it is to create a perfect upgrade, especially a fairly major one. Anyway ... it worked.

So be patient ... your phone is probably not dead or dying ... run the restore, and if you must, wipe out your settings.

No comments: