Saturday, April 5, 2008

Essence of the Common Man

The boys and I stopped at a local Indigo (Chapters) on the way back from our favourite local Vietnamese / Thai fusion restaurant (Pho Thi Fusion) and while I was shopping for photography books, they were buying art. Jon picked up the latest Ondaatje and Nick grabbed a couple of classics to read when this term ends.

I walked up to them standing in front of the poetry session and Nick remarked that he loved Haiku. We chatted about that for a moment, and I began pondering a little ditty that was based on our love for crude humour. The kind you'd find in some Kevin Smith movies. The trickiest part is getting the three lines to match the correct syllable count -- 5-7-5.

I came up with this final version after refining it a few times ...

flatulent odor
perfume of the common man
he loves his own brand

Yes, I am very proud of it :-)

No comments: